Michigan high school where 4 students were fatally shot reopens Monday
The Michigan high school where four students were fatally shot in late November will reopen Monday for the first time since the attack.
Students of Oxford High School, outside Detroit, have been attending classes at another site since Jan. 10.
Four students were killed and six students and a teacher were injured during the Nov. 30 shooting. A fellow student, Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been charged as an adult with murder and other crimes. His parents also are facing charges.
The high school is in Oakland County, about 30 miles north of Detroit.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said the authorities “anticipated a flood of false threats,” which are straining resources. The FBI and the Secret Service have joined to help assess claims, he said.
“As a community, we will get through this with love and grace for one another,” Oxford Community Schools Supt. Tim Throne said last week, referring to the high school’s reopening and legal cases related to the shooting.
A temporary memorial set up outside the school was removed before students returned. Throne said experts advised that removing it would help students “further their healing process.” A permanent memorial is planned.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get the day's top news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.