Advertisement

At least 10 dead in bombing in Kabul that targeted foreign forces convoy

An afternoon explosion in Kabul has left at least 10 people killed and dozens more injured, according to health officials.

Resolute Support, as the coalition of foreign forces in Afghanistan is now known, confirmed that Saturday's bombing targeted a convoy belonging to the coalition.

Advertisement

The site of the attack, in the Makroyan neighborhood of the capital, was also near a private hospital and private university.

Wahidullah Mayar, spokesman for the ministry of health, tweeted that one woman and one foreign national were among those killed. At least 60 others, including five women and five children, were injured.

Advertisement

Col. Brian Tribus of Resolute Support said in a statement to The Times, "We can confirm an attack on Resolute Support contracted civilians. One was killed in the attack and two others died of wounds as a result of the attack."

The attack was the deadliest for the coalition in several months.

Saturday's bombing comes after two weeks of relative calm in the capital.

The bombing is the latest instance of an attack targeting a foreign convoy leading to the death and injury of civilians in Kabul. The toll from the bombing was especially high as the attack targeted a civilian area during rush hour when Kabulis were returning home from work and school.

Advertisement

A series of explosions earlier in the month had left more than 300 Afghans, mostly civilians, killed and injured in a single 24-hour period. The United Nations said Aug. 6 was the bloodiest day for Afghan civilians in the capital since 2011.

Latifi is a special correspondent.

Advertisement
Advertisement