Taliban denies role in latest Afghanistan bombing
A suicide bombing at the guest house of a local official has left at least 13 people dead in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.
The late Sunday morning attack saw the attacker detonate his explosives inside a compound belonging to Obaidullah Shinwari, a member of Nangarhar’s provincial council.
The attack marks the second bombing in Jalalabad in less than a week.
As with last week’s attack, the Taliban denied any role in Sunday’s bombing. The previous bombing, near the Pakistani consulate, was claimed by a group claiming to represent the Islamic State in Central and South Asia.
The U.S. Embassy in Kabul issued a statement condeming the attack. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the victims. We will continue to be a strong partner of a democratic Afghanistan,” the statement said.
Also Sunday, the Italian embassy in Kabul was struck in a rocket attack. Police said it was hit by two rockets about 9:30 p.m., injuring one embassy guard. No group immediately claimed responsibility.
Latifi is a special correspondent
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.