Advertisement
World & Nation

Another, bigger migrant caravan is set to leave from Honduras next month

A migrant family from Honduras climbs the border fence to jump inside the United States to San Diego
A migrant family from Honduras climbs the border fence Wednesday, hoping to enter the United States from Tijuana.
(Daniel Ochoa de Olza / AP)

Another migrant caravan — this one estimated at 15,000 people — is preparing to leave Honduras on Jan. 15, according to migrant rights advocates and Spanish-language media.

“They say they are even bigger and stronger than the last caravan,” said Irma Garrido, a member of the migrant advocacy group Reactiva Tijuana Foundation.

Meanwhile, thousands of Central American migrants from a caravan that left Honduras in October remain stranded at the U.S.-Mexico border and languishing in crowded Tijuana shelters while they wait out a lengthy process to file asylum requests with the United States.

Coordinators who helped direct the migrants on the 2,000-mile trek with bullhorns, arranging for buses and giving advice along the way, have mostly vanished. Many of the migrants say they feel abandoned and unsure where to turn next. Some are ready to return home.

Advertisement

Garrido said this new, larger caravan will probably be joined by more people in El Salvador and in Guatemala, but she said they don’t plan on coming straight to the Tijuana-San Diego border, where resources are already stretched nearly to a breaking point.

“They will stay in the south of Mexico in Chiapas and Oaxaca. Their aim is to request work there,” she said.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has pledged visas and work in Mexico for Central American migrants. In his inauguration speech, he pledged public works projects such as planting 2 million trees and construction of his Maya Train, which will link cities in the three Yucatan peninsula states as well as Tabasco and Chiapas.

The $8-billion project is expected to create hundreds of thousands of jobs in the southern states of Mexico.

Advertisement

Last week, Mexico and the United States agreed to develop a plan to curb Central American migration. The plan includes a $25-billion investment from Mexico into its southern states over the next five years. The United States will contribute $4.8 billion to Mexico and $5.8 billion to the Northern Triangle of Central America, which is made up of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Most of the U.S. funding will be allocated from existing aid programs.

El Diario de Chiapas, a newspaper for the southern state of Mexico, reported that, like the last caravan, news about the groups’ plans to leave Honduras, their numbers and which routes they would be taking is spreading mostly by social media.

On Facebook, reaction in Chiapas to news of a second caravan was not all favorable.

“Well, now the government does something. That work is for Mexicans that need it,” said Anna Pérez from Palenque, Mexico, on Facebook. “Opportunistic people who just want to take advantage of the Mexicans.”

The caravan that left Honduras in October, drawing the ire of President Trump and capturing international media attention, was not the first. Crowds of migrants often travel together for protection from criminals who stalk the routes.

Pueblo Sin Fronteras has led migrant caravans from Central America for more than 15 years, usually bringing the largest crowds just before Easter.

The organization and its work was relatively unknown to most Americans until Trump began tweeting about the caravan before the midterm election.

The El Diario de Chiapas newspaper reported that even though Tijuana would not be the newest caravan’s initial destination, some of the participants plan to eventually make their way north to the city to try to enter the United States.

Advertisement

In Tijuana, the presence of Central American migrants has sparked protest and even violence.

Last week, two people threw a canister of tear gas into Tijuana’s El Barretal shelter, Mexican federal police said.

On Dec. 15, two Honduran teenagers were viciously beaten, tortured and killed by low-level members of the Jalisco New Generation cartel, highlighting the dangers for unaccompanied minors in the caravan.

After the teenagers’ deaths, the Consulate of Honduras issued a warning: “We reiterate the call to Honduran nationals that they not risk their lives and the lives of their families on the dangers that the migratory route represents, where migrants are exposed to being victims of traffickers.”

Thousands remain stuck in Tijuana, a city with more than 2,000 homicides this year, leaving the Central American migrants almost as vulnerable as they were grappling with the gang violence that caused them to flee their homelands.

Fry writes for the San Diego Union-Tribune.


Newsletter
Get our Today's Headlines newsletter
Advertisement