The gunman who went on a shooting rampage at a youth camp on an island near Olso on Friday fired shots from two weapons for an hour and a half before surrendering to authorities, Norwegian police officials said Saturday.
It took police 40 minutes to get on the island after Anders Behring Breivik began shooting, Police Chief Sveinung Sponheim said at a news conference. He told reporters that police officials had responded as “quickly as possible” but there were problems getting boats to transport officials to Utoya Island, where the Worker’s Youth League, the youth wing of Norway’s Labor Party, was attending an annual gathering.
The shootings came after a bomb explosion outside a government building in Oslo that police confirmed was caused by a car bomb. Sponheim said a witness saw the vehicle standing for a long time outside the building.
Of the 92 people confirmed dead in the twin attacks, 85 were shot and seven died as a result of the blast, Sponheim said. Police said that four or five were known to be missing in the attacks. Sponheim told reporters that body parts had been discovered in the buildings at the epicenter of the explosion.
Police officials said that Breivik did not resist arrest when police caught up with him.
“He put down his weapons,” Sponheim told reporters. “It was undramatic.”
No other guns or knives were found, the police chief added.
He would not confirm whether authorities were searching for another assailant. It’s also unclear whether Breivik was part of a larger network, Sponheim said.
Breivik, who is in custody, was speaking with police, Sponheim said. But he has retained a lawyer.