Berries jubilee with peach sorbet and salted candied almonds
Total time: 35 minutes, plus freezing and marinating time
Note: An easy way to peel peaches is to submerge them in boiling water for 30 seconds, drain them, and the skins will slip right off. For the peach sorbet, you can substitute best-quality store-bought sorbet.
Peach sorbet1 pound ripe peaches, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
6 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon orange liqueur
1. Place the peach pieces and one-half cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the peaches are tender and cooked through. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Cool to room temperature.
2. Add the orange liqueur and purée the mixture in a blender until smooth. Chill thoroughly, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. This makes about one pint of sorbet.
Salted candied almonds2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds (blanched or unblanched)
1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a skillet, then add the almonds. Cook over medium heat, stirring very gently, until the sugar starts to melt.
2. Continue to cook, stirring, until the almonds are coated with the syrup and become toasty brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle with the salt, stir once, then scrape the almonds onto a parchment-lined ungreased baking sheet. Cool. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Berries jubilee and assembly3 cups mixed berries (any combination of quartered strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries)
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
2/3 cup fresh orange juice (juice of 1 large orange)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons orange liqueur
1 pint peach sorbet
Salted candied almonds
1. In a large bowl, gently mix the berries, orange zest, orange juice, sugar and Grand Marnier. Marinate, at room temperature, for 1 hour before serving.
2. To serve, place a scoop of peach sorbet in a glass and spoon the berries and some of their liquid over and alongside. Sprinkle with salted candied almonds.
Each serving: 220 calories; 3 grams protein; 41 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams fiber; 5 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 50 mg. sodium.