Do you like your dishes with more than a little heat? Do too many recipes out there suffer from a lack of spice? Check out each of these ideas, which is sure to provide ample spice in minimal time. And, of course, while they're guaranteed to have at least a little kick, you're always welcome to bump up the spices to suit your liking.
Clay Oven's spicy habanero lamb vindaloo: If you love spice, you can't go wrong with this vindaloo, which packs more than a little heat. Chef Geeta Bensal was happy to share her recipe with us, noting that her restaurant's habanero-spiced vindaloo is "made with our own homegrown habaneros."
Massaman curry with chicken: Bright, fresh and mildly spicy. Cholada Thai's homemade Massaman curry paste marries with sweet coconut milk in this rich, slow-simmered chicken stew.
Purple Palm's spicy mac and cheese: Purple Palm's recipe gets its kick from pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The subtle heat provides a nice contrast to the rich creaminess of the sauce and makes for a fun take on this favorite dish.
SPICY MAC AND CHEESE
Total time: 55 minutes | Serves 6 to 8
Note: Adapted from Purple Palm
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 to 4 tablespoons pureed canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (pureed using a food processor or blender), or to taste
1 pound grated medium cheddar cheese (about 5 cups), divided
Salt and pepper
1 pound macaroni
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil to cook the macaroni. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until it makes a smooth paste.
3. Whisk in the milk and cream, making sure there are no lumps, then whisk in the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.
4. Stir in all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese, a little at a time, until all the cheese is melted and incorporated. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste. Remove from heat and set aside in a warm place.
5. Cook the macaroni according to the manufacturer's instructions. Drain the cooked macaroni and stir the noodles in with the cheese mixture.
6. Place the macaroni and cheese into a greased 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over it.
7. Place the baking dish in the oven and cook until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted through, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving.
Each of 8 servings: 589 calories; 24 grams protein; 47 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 34 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 108 mg. cholesterol; 894 mg. sodium.