L.A. Now

Suspect in killing of Northern California deputies was previously deported, authorities say

A man accused in a deadly Northern California shooting rampage had twice been deported from the U.S.

U.S. immigration officials said Saturday that the man accused of killing two Northern California sheriff's deputies Friday is a convicted drug dealer who was twice deported from the country.

Luis Enrique Monroy Bracamonte, 34, has been booked on charges of murder, attempted murder and carjacking in connection with a rampage through Sacramento and Placer counties that left two sheriff's deputies dead, another injured and a civilian seriously wounded.

Monroy, an undocumented immigrant, was deported in 1997 following his arrest and conviction in Arizona for possession of narcotics for sale, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was arrested and repatriated to Mexico a second time in 2001.

The agency has lodged an immigration detainer asking the Sacramento County Sheriff Office to transfer Monroy to ICE custody if he is released so that it can begin deportation proceedings.

Monroy was charged under the name Marcelo Marquez, but officials now say that was an alias.

He is accused in the deaths of Sacramento County sheriff’s Deputy Danny Oliver and Placer County sheriff's Det. Michael David Davis Jr. Authorities have said that he used an AR-15-type assault rifle to kill the officers and wound another deputy and a civilian.

His wife, 38-year-old Janelle Marquez Monroy, who allegedly accompanied him for much of Friday's six-hour rampage, was booked on attempted murder and carjacking charges.

For more news, follow @latimesharriet and @alanzarembo on Twitter. 

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
74°