Kyle Busch to return at NASCAR All-Star race this weekend

Kyle Busch will make his NASCAR Sprint Cup season debut at Charlotte Motor Speedway this week

Kyle Busch, who suffered multiple injuries in a crash during NASCAR's opening weekend, will make his 2015 Sprint Cup debut at Saturday's All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Busch announced his return Tuesday on Twitter, writing: "I'm back. #RowdyReturns." He also posted a 24-second video of himself wearing his race suit and helmet.

Busch suffered a broken right leg and left foot after crashing into an inside retaining wall during an Xfinity Series race at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 21. He hit the concrete wall at 176 mph, prompting NASCAR to make safety changes to the area where the crash occurred.

David Ragan has handled the majority of the driving duties in Busch's absence, taking the wheel of the No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota in nine of the 11 races Busch has missed.

Busch is eligible to make NASCAR's Chase for the Cup playoffs if he manages to somehow finish in the top 30. However, NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said last month that NASCAR would consider giving Busch a waiver that would make it possible for him to make the Chase playoffs.

"What happened to him was on us," France told the Associated Press. "We'll balance a lot of things at that point when we have to make a decision, but we're inclined to want to figure that out for sure."

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
46°