Broadway’s ‘Spider-Man’ sets new opening date for June 14
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
Producers of ‘Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark’ said Friday that the musical production is now set to open June 14 — its sixth scheduled opening to date — and that the production will shut down April 19 to May 11 in order to implement revisions to the show. The muscial is set to resume preview performances at the Foxwoods Theatre in New York on May 12.
The new June 14 opening date is just two days after Broadway’s biggest night, the Tony Awards, which will take place June 12 at the Beacon Theatre. ‘Spider-Man’ won’t be eligible for awards this season due to the latest postponement.
Organizers of the $65-million musical said that, as a result of the new opening night, the performances on June 12 and 14 and both performances on June 15 have been canceled. Additional shows have been added on June 13 and 17.
Ticket holders for the canceled performances who purchased their tickets through Ticketmaster or at the box office will be offered the option of exchanging or returning their tickets
Earlier this week, director Julie Taymor was relieved of her daily responsibilities on the show following nearly universal bad reviews and mounting negative publicity. The musical has been plagued with cast injuries, set breakdowns and an escalating budget. Philip William McKinley has been brought in by producers to take over the director’s seat.
Rick Miramontez, the spokesman for ‘Spider-Man,’ said that Taymor is still officially being credited as the director of the show. He said producers have not yet determined McKinley’s title on the production.
Reports have stated that revisions to the book for the musical — being overseen by playwright Roberto Aguirre Sacasa — could result in certain roles being minimized or eliminated altogether. The spokesman declined to comment on those reports.
— David Ng