Dodgers cancel half-price alcohol promotion
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
The Dodgers have cancelled plans to sell half-price alcohol at six games this season, their latest response to the parking lot attack that critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan on opening day.
The Dodgers had scheduled six weekday afternoon games this season in which food and drink, including alcohol, would be sold for half-price. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck asked last week that the team reconsider its alcohol policies, and county Supervisor Mike Antonovich on Tuesday urged the Dodgers to rescind the half-price promotion.
In a news release issued at 5 p.m. Wednesday, the day before the Dodgers return home, the team said that half-price alcohol was ‘no longer part’ of the half-price food and drink promotion. The Dodgers did not say why, and the the news release made no mention of the opening-day beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow or the public uproar that apparently prompted the cancellation of the promotion.
The Dodgers also said that Beck would join owner Frank McCourt and former Los Angeles Police Chief Bill Bratton at a stadium news conference Thursday to ‘discuss additional security measures at Dodger Stadium.’ The Dodgers have retained Bratton as a security consultant, but Beck said last week he alone would determine how to upgrade stadium security and would bill the Dodgers for the cost. The Dodgers have agreed to pay.
-- Bill Shaikin