Suspect in Downey shooting rampage pleads not guilty
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
A 30-year-old man accused of a botched Craigslist robbery and shooting spree in Downey that left three dead pleaded not guilty Wednesday to 14 charges, authorities said.
Jade Douglas Harris could face the death penalty if convicted on the charges, which include three counts of murder, two of attempted murder, three of kidnapping for carjacking, three of carjacking, two of kidnapping and one of firearm possession by a felon.
Harris, a convicted felon and known gang member, allegedly went to a business on Cleta Street in response to a Craigslist ad for a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.
At the business, he shot and killed Josimar Rojas, 26, and Irene Cardenas Reyes, 35, who were employees of United States Fire Protection Services. He also shot Maria Fuentes, the mother of the business’ owner, authorities said. She was shot in the face and hands but survived.
Harris then allegedly forced Susana Perez Ruelas, 34, to drive him and her 13-year-old son to their nearby home, where the Camaro was parked. At the house, he shot and killed Perez Ruelas and wounded the boy, prosecutors said.
According to law enforcement records reviewed by The Times, Harris, who lives in South Los Angeles, is unemployed and a member of the Rollin 40s Crips and on parole for second-degree robbery.
Harris has previously been convicted of robbery, attempted robbery and carrying a concealed weapon, the district attorney’s office said. According to records, he was released in July and placed on parole.
The district attorney’s office will decide later whether to seek the death penalty. Because of the nature of the charges, prosecutors have asked that Harris be held without bail.
Attorneys will set a preliminary hearing date on Dec. 18.
-- Wesley Lowery