Advertisement
Share

Refund requests minimal for Tiger Woods tournament, official says

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.

Tiger Woods’ decision to skip his golf tournament in Thousand Oaks this week has not sparked a large number of refund requests by ticket-holders, the tournament’s director said today.

‘It’s not like our switchboard was inundated,” said Greg McLaughlin, president and chief executive of the Tiger Woods Foundation, the Woods charity that benefits from the Chevron World Challenge.

“It hasn’t been an overwhelming number” of refund requests, he said. “Traditionally what will happen in these situations is it’s less than 2% or 3%, not big numbers. “

The tournament at Sherwood Country Club for the first time offered refunds and discounts on tickets for next year’s event after Woods on Monday canceled plans to play, citing minor injuries from his car accident outside his Florida home that’s sparked a media frenzy surrounding the world’s No. 1 golfer and his marriage.

Advertisement

Woods also canceled a news conference at the club that had been scheduled for today.

“We decided yesterday to allow people that wanted a refund – that possibly bought a ticket because they were going to come out and see Tiger – that they could get a full refund,” McLaughlin said. “We just thought it was the right thing to do.

“People clearly wish Tiger was here, but their support has really been good,” he said of Chevron and the tournament’s other sponsors. “There has not been any negative fallout that we’ve received with respect with him not being able to play.”

The four-day tournament starts Thursday. We will have a full story later on latimes.com/sports.

-- Jim Peltz


Advertisement