Girl, 16, Convicted in Classmate’s Slaying : Teen-ager Feared Victim ‘Was Going to Tell People I Was Weird’
A 16-year-old girl was convicted Wednesday of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of a classmate she feared was about to tell schoolmates that she was “weird.”
Bernadette Protti had been charged with first-degree murder in the June 23 slaying of 15-year-old Kirsten Costas.
However, Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Edward L. Merrill, who heard the juvenile case without a jury, said prosecutors failed to prove first-degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt and ordered Protti to appear on April 1 for sentencing.
After surrendering in December, Protti told police she resented Costas and attacked her because “I was afraid she was going to tell people I was weird.”
There also was a suggestion that Protti was jealous of her more popular and successful classmate.
“I lost for cheerleader and I didn’t get the club I wanted and I didn’t get (on the) yearbook (staff),” Protti told officers in a taped confession played at the trial. “The things that got me mad was it hurt and I couldn’t change . . . like looks or money or popularity or things.”
Protti lured Costas to her death with a phony invitation to an initiation dinner for the Bob-O-Links, a Junior League-style volunteer group at Miramonte High School. Both girls had been invited to join the group.
After the verdict, Art Costas, Kirsten’s father, told reporters: “My feeling is that the law has been served . . . . We’ve lost our daughter. I don’t believe the punishment will ever match the crime.”
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.