Carew Said to Have Been Offered Contract by Giants
Former Angel first baseman Rod Carew has apparently received a playing offer from a team believed to be the San Francisco Giants, and he will make an announcement about it Monday.
Carew’s attorney, Jerry Simon, was reached at his Minnesota home Friday night and confirmed that Carew planned to make a statement Monday regarding an offer he had received.
Simon would not identify the team, but a baseball executive who requested anonymity said he had learned that it was the Giants.
Carew, 40, could not be reached for comment. He has previously expressed bewilderment over the lack of a playing offer from any major league club after the Angels announced that they did not intend to re-sign him. He has been out of baseball since the end of the 1985 season.