Nightclub Cancels Concerts Pending Capacity Increase

Times Staff Writer

The owners of Michael's Supper Club have canceled all concerts for the remainder of the year so they can regroup after county fire marshals cut the Dana Point nightclub's capacity in half last month.

"We've asked all of our acts to reschedule after the holidays, and they have all graciously agreed to do so," owner Michael Zanetis said Monday.

During October, modifications to the club will be made in hope of winning county Fire Department approval for a capacity increase to more than 200, Zanetis said.

Michael's opened in August at a capacity of more than 300. Fire marshals reduced that number to 157 after inspecting the club during B.B. King's inaugural engagement.

Unless the department approves a larger capacity, the club would not be able to afford to book most major touring acts. Zanetis said the club has lost money on concerts since the capacity was reduced.

"It has been an expensive experience to be sure," Zanetis said. "But we can recoup our losses over the holidays with our banquet business."

Zanetis plans to resume concert bookings after Jan. 1 on Friday and Saturday nights. It had been booked throughout the week since opening.

The room will remain open for banquets and special events during the week, and live entertainment will be offered in the upstairs lounge, Zanetis said.

Among the acts booked to play the club in coming weeks were the Bellamy Brothers, Mel Tillis, Lee Ritenour, a Shirelles-Coasters package, the Platters and the New Ink Spots.

No new dates have been set, Zanetis said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
62°