Advertisement

Local News in Brief : Santa Clarita to Help Finance Transit Study

The Santa Clarita City Council has agreed to join the Los Angeles County Transportation Commission and Los Angeles County in funding a study of the Santa Clarita Valley’s public transit problems and their possible solutions.

The commission already has pledged $35,000 to the study, the cost of which is not to exceed $100,000. The City Council agreed Tuesday night to pay 95% of the balance, with the remaining 5% to be covered by Los Angeles County.

Alan E. Patashnick, a senior analyst with the commission, said Wednesday that the study will evaluate existing public transit programs in the valley and possibly recommend new programs, such as shuttle vans or Dial-A-Ride. Patashnick said the study should be completed by January, 1990.

Patashnick said county and Santa Clarita officials will be able to use the study as a planning tool. He said the study should complement a recent report by the Southern California Assn. of Governments, which recommends $339 million worth of highway improvement projects, from widened roads to new bridges, in the valley.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement