Advertisement

TV & VIDEO

<i> Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press</i>

A 30-second television ad for the videocassette “Child’s Play” has been pulled from prime time on ABC and CBS because viewers have complained that it is too frightening. The commercial, which had been approved, shows a doll that comes to life and begins killing, pursuing an off-screen victim, committing aggressive acts and speaking in a threatening manner. Herb Fischer, senior vice president, domestic sales and marketing for MGM/UA Home Video, said Thursday that the ads are still airing on NBC and MTM. ABC and CBS, he said, now only plan to show them at late hours. The “Child’s Play” home video is due out April 25. The film was released theatrically last fall and grossed $34 million.


Advertisement