Solvent Fumes Force Evacuation of Mall
About 50 people were evacuated from a Thousand Oaks mall about 4:30 p.m. Friday when fumes from a canister of cleaning solvent entered a ventilation duct and made several patrons ill, a sheriff’s spokesman said.
Ventura County Sheriff’s Sgt. Bob Johnston said vapors from the solvent drifted into the ventilation system at Janss Mall in the 100 block of North Moorpark Road.
Customers were allowed to return to the mall about 90 minutes later, Johnston said.
A Ventura County Fire Department spokeswoman said five people sought medical attention after being exposed to the fumes, but no one was injured.
The spokeswoman identified the materials as a chemical used to remove wax from floors.