THOUSAND OAKS : Lewis Seeks Inquiry of Recall Campaign
Thousand Oaks Councilman Bob Lewis has called for an investigation into the actions of a citizens group that is trying to recall Mayor Frank Schillo and Councilman Alex Fiore.
On Tuesday night, Lewis accused the group’s leaders of illegally gathering signatures on their petitions by misrepresenting the campaign as an effort to stop the city’s proposed Jungleland development, not as a recall.
The attack is one in a series of accusations traded between council members and leaders of the recall committee. Last week, the recall group blasted city leaders for what they called intentional delays in the approval of sample petitions used in the recall campaign.
City Atty. Mark G. Sellers said he will determine within two weeks whether a complaint against the group should be filed.
If Sellers finds there is a basis for a complaint, the city may contact the Fair Political Practices Commission, a state agency that monitors whether political campaigns are conducted fairly; the secretary of state, or the attorney general’s office.
Joan Gorner, one of the leaders of the recall committee, said she welcomed the investigation.
Gorner said the recall committee has focused on Schillo and Fiore, the prime architects of the city’s plans to develop a new city hall and performing arts auditorium at the site of a former wild animal park.
But she denied any impropriety in using the Jungleland development as the focus of the campaign.
“It is a recall on Jungleland,” she said.