Halloween revelers with a taste for terror can get their fill tonight at haunted houses and other bewitching festivals throughout North County.
For less stout-hearted souls, there are many carnivals, parties and contests.
Here are some of the Halloween happenings in North County:
* Mall Treats: Plaza Camino Real will celebrate Halloween by hosting a party for kids that includes face painting, Halloween arts and crafts projects, balloons, trick-or-treat bags and candy from participating merchants, from 6 to 8 p.m. tonight. Admission is free, and children are encouraged to come in costume.
* Street Fest: The Encinitas Mainstreet Assn. is hosting its third annual Haunted Holiday from 5 to 9 p.m. Halloween night on 1st Street in downtown Encinitas. The family-oriented evening features llama rides, live creepy crawly critter shows, strolling singers, face painting, scary window displays and trick or treating at the shops. Admission is free.
* Haunted Theater: The La Paloma Theater is transformed into Halloween Nightmare on 1st Street, where screen characters come alive on stage from 5 p.m. to midnight tonight. Tickets are $2 for kids. Call 436-SHOW.
* Fellowship Fest: For the eighth year, the Self-Realization Fellowship will open its grounds for an evening of family Halloween magic, from 5:30 to 9 p.m. tonight at the temple on Old Highway 101. The outdoor area is transformed into Happy Land and Scary Land where fairy princesses, clowns, monsters and witches freely roam. All ages welcome. Admission is free.
* Haunted House: The city’s parks and recreation department joins Patio Playhouse to create a harrowing haunted house for people ages 10 years and older. The haunted house is open from 6 to 10 p.m. tonight at the Vineyard Shopping Center on East Valley Parkway at Rose. Cost is $3 per person. Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
* Monster Maze: An elaborate labyrinth has been created, complete with torture rooms, fog and surprises around every corner and will be open from dusk to 10 p.m. at the Family Fun Center, 830 Dan Way. Cost is $5 per person.
* Haunted House: The Fallbrook Boys and Girls Club is sponsoring a haunted house from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. tonight and Friday at the club, 445 E. Ivy St. Cost is $1 for club members with club identification card and $2 for non-members. Call 728-5871.
* Haunted House: The Boys and Girls Club in conjunction with the Oceanside Merchants’ Assn. is sponsoring a haunted house from 6 to 10 p.m. tonight at 615 Mission Ave. Cost is $4 for adults, $3 for children under 15 and family discounts are available.
* Haunted House: The Poway Teen Council has created a haunted house for children 6 to 12 years old. It will be open from 6 to 9 p.m. tonight at the Poway Community Center, 13094 Bowron Road. Admission is $1.
* Musical: “Dracula,” a musical comedy, will be performed at 7:30 p.m. tonight at The Barn, 149 E. San Marcos Blvd. Cost is $5 at the door.
* Carnival: A free carnival will be begin at 5 p.m. at The Barn in San Marcos.
* Country Halloween: A party and costume contest with dancing and games for adults begins at 7 p.m. tonight at Leo’s Little Bit O’ Country, 680 W. San Marcos Blvd.
* Parade and Party: The city’s park and recreation department is sponsoring a costume parade and party for children of all ages from 3:30 to 6 p.m. today at the recreation center, 715 Valley Ave. Children are encouraged to bring their pumpkins already carved for a judging at 4 p.m.
* Games: All ages are welcome to a Halloween game night from 7 to 9:30 p.m. tonight, at Faith Community Baptist Church, 133 S. Santa Fe. Call 941-7699.
* Safe Tricks and Treats: The Vista Town Center Assn. will give a holiday theme to its weekly farmers’ market tonight. Shop windows will be decorated, merchants will be in costume, and children can safely trick or treat from store to store from 6 to 9 p.m. A costume contest for children will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Avo Theater. Live entertainment and food are also planned. All festivities take place on East Vista Way between Citrus and Santa Fe in the heart of downtown Vista.
* Carnival: The Vista Boys and Girls Club is sponsoring a carnival with a fun house, rides and Ferris wheels, from 5 to 10 p.m. tonight at Christensen Amusement Park, at Eucalyptus and Escondido Avenue. Tickets are $6 in advance at the Boys and Girls Club, or $7 at the door.