PORT HUENEME : 1 Wounded During 3 Related Shootings

Three related youth gang shootings in 1 1/2 hours left one gang member wounded and witnesses too scared to cooperate with police, Port Hueneme police said Thursday.

The three outbursts of gunfire occurred in Oxnard and Port Hueneme between 8:30 and 10 p.m. Wednesday. No arrests have been made, police said. And Jacques Nash, the 22-year-old who was wounded in the leg, was treated at St. John's Regional Medical Center and released.

But residents of a quiet southwest Oxnard neighborhood where youths in one car shot at another said they had never seen such violence there before.

"This damn gang thing is getting out of hand," said a 45-year-old Oxnard resident, who lives near Brookside Avenue and Hemlock Street.

He said he saw the shooting from his living room window. He asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution.

The spate of gang violence began with a drive-by shooting on the 1700 block of Sixth Place in Port Hueneme, home to Jerlance Perkins, 22, Port Hueneme Detective Ron Burns said.

The second shooting occurred during a chase that started at a supermarket in Port Hueneme, and the third was in southwest Oxnard.

Police said the same black car was involved in all three shootings.

Perkins was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of killing a rival gang member and injuring Nash of Oxnard, Burns said.

The district attorney ruled that Perkins acted in self-defense, the officer said.

Nash was the man who was shot Wednesday evening, Burns said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
60°