“The Jackie Thomas Show” is history, its star said Friday.
Tom Arnold, of the ABC situation comedy that he created with his wife, Roseanne Arnold, said he can no longer wait for ABC to make a decision about whether it would be renewed for next season. ABC was expected to make an announcement on Tuesday about the future of the show.
A spokeswoman for Arnold said he will star next season in a CBS series to be written by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, creator of “Designing Women” and “Evening Shade.”
“Tom has decided to put ‘The Jackie Thomas Show’ behind him,” said Pat Kingsley, Arnold’s publicist. “There is no more ‘Jackie Thomas.’ ”
She added that ABC was aware of his decision and understood that Arnold would not return even if the show were renewed.
Arnold, ABC and Bloodworth-Thomason could not be reached for comment.
Leslie Moonves, the president of Lorimar Television, which co-produced “Jackie Thomas” with the Arnolds, said, “We would never hold Tom Arnold to anything he did not want to do.”
The decision may mean that Roseanne Arnold, who shared her husband’s frustration about ABC’s indecision over “The Jackie Thomas Show,” may take her top-rated “Roseanne” off ABC to another network in 1994. The Arnolds had threatened last month that they would take both shows to another network if ABC did not move promptly to renew “Jackie Thomas.”
“The Jackie Thomas Show,” which starred Arnold as a brutish and bullying television star, ranked 14th among the season’s 142 prime-time network series, but failed to hold a significant amount of viewers from “Roseanne,” which preceded it on Tuesdays.