For dedicated gardeners, here are suggestions from the California Assn. of Nurserymen on what to do in the garden this week:
* If you haven't started a vegetable garden yet there is still time. Nurseries have a wide availability of vegetable transplants.
* Pinch chrysanthemums back to 12 inches for more flowers with shorter stems in the fall.
* Rebuild water basins around trees and shrubs for the summer.
* Deep water trees and shrubs with soaker hoses.
* Deep watering is one of the best ways to reduce the water bill. A thorough soaking once a week or twice a month takes less water than frequent small applications and is better for the health of many plants.