Countywide : Red Cross to Send 5 to Aid Flood Victims
Responding to the call for more volunteers to help flood victims in the Midwest, the Orange County chapter of the American Red Cross is sending two employees and three volunteers to St. Louis on Sunday.
Harry Delkeskamp and Bill Fredricks, both paid staff members, and volunteers Rino Zaccuri, Howard Darter and Doug Gavilanes will undergo training before getting assigned to disaster areas, Red Cross spokeswoman Judy Iannaccone said Friday.
Six Orange County chapter volunteers were sent earlier to the Midwest, Iannaccone said. Two of them are still there, she said.
Iannaccone said the Red Cross is accepting only cash donations because of the difficulty in sorting and shipping clothing and other items.
Meanwhile, the Salvation Army said it is stepping up its own relief efforts. Orange County coordinator Lee Lescano said canned food, cleaning supplies, diapers, baby food, first-aid supplies, soap, shampoo and other toiletries are needed.
Donations will be accepted at 18 locations around Orange County:
* Thrift Store and Certified Collection Center, 100 N. Anaheim Blvd., (714) 535-4631.
* Thrift Store, 200 N. Beach Blvd., (714) 535-4631.
* Certified Collection Center, corner of Western and Lincoln avenues.
In Buena Park:
* Thrift Store & Certified Collection Center, 7035 Stanton Ave., (714) 521-7390.
In Costa Mesa:
* Thrift Store & Certified Collection Center, 2126 Harbor Blvd., (714) 642-3636.
In Fountain Valley:
* Certified Collection Center, corner of Brookhurst Street and Warner Avenue.
* Thrift Store, 205 N. Harbor Blvd., (714) 525-2525.
In Garden Grove:
* Thrift Store, 12962 Main St., (714) 638-3624.
* Thrift Store, 9866 Garden Grove Blvd., (714) 530-4350.
* Certified Collection Center, corner of Harbor Boulevard and Chapman Avenue.
In Huntington Beach:
* Certified Collection Center, corner of Edinger Avenue and Sher Lane.
In Lake Forest:
* Thrift Store, 23820 Mercury Road, (714) 5881-1605.
* Thrift Store, 686 N. Tustin Ave., (714) 532-2235.
In Santa Ana:
* Thrift Store, 821 S. Sycamore St., (714) 541-6726.
* Thrift Store, 710 S. Main St., (714) 547-3562.
* Thrift Store, 2603 W. 1st St., (714) 541-6726.
* Certified Collection Center, corner of 17th Street and Carroll Way.
* 7138 Westminster Blvd., (714) 898-6281.