SOUTH COUNTY : A Class for Drivers Going Over 50
Senior citizens who want to sharpen their motoring skills and qualify for insurance discounts can sign up for driving classes throughout the area this month.
The courses show motorists how to adjust their driving skills as they age. Those completing the two-day course also qualify for car insurance discounts.
The program, called “55 Alive,” is sponsored by the American Assn. of Retired Persons, and participants must be at least age 50.
The cost is $8, and preregistration is required.
Upon finishing the class, students are given a certificate of completion that automobile insurance companies honor for good-driving discounts.
Those interested in signing up must contact the facility where the class is being held. Classes in South County during August include:
* Wednesday and Thursday from 1 to 5 p.m. at Iglesia Community Center, 24671 Via Iglesia, Laguna Hills. (714) 380-0155.
* Aug. 8 and 9 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at San Juan Capistrano Regional Library, 31495 El Camino Real, in San Juan Capistrano. (714) 493-5911.
* Aug. 8 from 9 from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at San Clemente Senior Citizen Center, 242 Del Mar, in San Clemente. (714) 498-3322.
* Aug. 18 and 19 from 1 to 5 p.m. at Glendale Federal Bank, 24221 Calle de la Louisa, Laguna Hills. (714) 768-7771.
* Aug. 20 and 27 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Laguna Beach Senior Center in Lang Park at Wesley and Coast Highway. (714) 497-2441.
* Aug. 24 and 31 from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Capistrano Bay Park and Recreation District offices, 34052 Del Obispo Road. (714) 496-4251.