Santa Clarita / Antelope Valley : Ex-Football Star Pleads Guilty in Collision That Injured Student
Former Hart High School star quarterback Ryan Connors pleaded guilty Wednesday in San Fernando Superior Court to a single count of causing bodily injury while driving under the influence of alcohol in connection with a head-on collision that severely injured a music student last year.
Connors, 20, entered the plea as pretrial motions in his case ended, Deputy Dist. Atty. Stephen A. Baron said.
For the record:
12:00 AM, Aug. 05, 1994 For the Record
Los Angeles Times Friday August 5, 1994 Valley Edition Metro Part B Page 3 Column 5 No Desk 1 inches; 34 words Type of Material: Correction
A story in Thursday’s Valley Edition incorrectly reported that Ryan Connors, the former Hart High star quarterback, pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge. He pleaded no contest to the charge, which also results in a criminal conviction.
The prosecutor said he will ask Judge Shari K. Silver to sentence Hart to two years in prison on Aug. 26. The defense will seek probation.
Connors, the state’s all-time single football season passing leader, was accused of drunk driving after he crashed head-on into another car while drag racing in a borrowed Mercedes-Benz on San Fernando Road on July 23, 1993.
The other driver, CalArts student Gregory Moore, 33, of Saugus, was critically injured. Moore, an aspiring composer, has had several operations to reconstruct his face and was scheduled to undergo surgery again Wednesday, Baron said.
At the time of the accident, Connors was planning to attend UC Davis. Police said that two hours after the accident his blood alcohol was 0.08%--the legal limit at which drivers are considered drunk.
During the 1991 season, Connors passed for 4,144 yards and 39 touchdowns, leading his team to a league title.