REGION : Cities Sponsor Christmas-Tree Recycling
Don’t throw away that old Christmas tree--recycle it.
Several government agencies are co-sponsoring a Christmas tree recycling program this weekend and next at 17 sites throughout Los Angeles County. The office of County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said the trees will be chipped and used for mulch at county parks and landfills.
Before drop-off, trees should be removed from their stands and stripped of lights, ornaments and tinsel. Program participants will be rewarded with discount coupons for Universal Studios and vouchers for garden products.
Recycling sites in Santa Monica will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Jan. 7 at:
* Clover Park, 2600 Ocean Park Blvd.
* Douglas Park, 2439 Wilshire Blvd.
* Lincoln Park, 1150 Lincoln Blvd.
* Los Amigos Park, 500 Hollister Ave.
Other Westside drop-off locations, open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday and Jan. 8 and 9, include:
* 9332 Civic Center Drive, Beverly Hills.
* The Hollywood Bowl, 2301 N. Highland Ave., Los Angeles.
* Dock 52 (west of the public launch ramp), 13483 Fiji Way, Marina del Rey.
* Cheviot Hills Recreation Center, 2551 Motor Ave.
* Westchester Municipal Building, 7166 W. Manchester Ave.
* Rancho Cienega Sports Center, 5001 Rodeo Road.