Advertisement

The Pond’s First Fight Night Gets KOd by Broudy : Boxing: Local promoter pulled out of deal that would bring an inaugural fight to the facility.

TIMES STAFF WRITER

Peter Broudy, the promoter who returned professional boxing to the San Fernando Valley, will not be the first to stage a fight at the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim.

The Pond’s inaugural “Fight Night,” scheduled for Feb. 4, has been canceled, Broudy and arena operators said last week.

An agreement between Pond officials and Hollywood-based Celebrity Boxing unraveled when Broudy learned that Forum Boxing was close to signing a deal to bring a pay-per-view event to the 18,000-seat Pond on March 31.

Broudy had committed an investment of more than $100,000 to hold the February bouts, believing that even if the first venture lost money, he would build a loyal following by continuing to bring shows to The Pond on a regular basis.

Advertisement

The pay-per-view event, Broudy said, would have prohibited him from staging a second show until at least the end of April.

“If it rains on Feb. 4, and nobody shows up and I lose $60,000 or $70,000, I’ll do that if I can come right back with a show the next month and the month after that,” said Broudy, who had provided Pond officials with a list of dates he wanted.

“But I couldn’t do the February show with no assurances (for the future). I’d be taking all the risks.”

Tim Ryan, assistant general manager of The Pond, said he has a “verbal understanding” with Forum Boxing for the March 31 show and expects to finalize the deal next week.

Advertisement

Forum Boxing has not expressed interest in holding monthly shows in Anaheim, Ryan said.

Broudy, who promotes monthly bouts at the Warner Center Marriott, still is interested in holding regular shows at The Pond. But not without a commitment.

“I have an open mind,” Broudy said, “but I’m not a fool. I’m not going to make a big investment like that and take all the risks and have someone else come in and start taking dates away.”

*

Advertisement

“Irish” Pat Lawlor was forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Randy “Big Man” Smith in the co-main event of Wednesday’s card at the Marriott.

Lawlor has been advised by his physician not to box for at least 10 more days in order to allow a nose injury to heal. The fight has been rescheduled for next month.

Hector Monjardin will meet Jesus Sarabla in the main event, a bout for the California junior lightweight championship scheduled for 10 rounds.

Monjardin has a record of 17 wins, five losses and a draw, including 12 wins by knockout. Sarabla, the former North American Boxing Federation champion, is 22-4 with 17 KOs.

Advertisement

Broudy is attempting to add a second 10-round fight featuring undefeated lightweight Shane Mosley.

Set for the undercard is a heavyweight bout between Reggie Blackmon (6-0, six KOs) and Cleveland Woods (12-4, 10 KOs) scheduled for six rounds; a bantamweight fight between Alvarez Sota (6-0, four KOs) and Richardo Contreras (5-2, three KOs) scheduled for five rounds; and a heavyweight match between Jimmy Mullen (4-1, three KOs) and Larry Givens (15-9) scheduled for four rounds.

In another undercard bout, undefeated junior welterweight Danny Lujan (5-0, three KOs) will meet a still-to-be-announced opponent. First bell is 7:30 p.m.


Advertisement
Advertisement