Close Up Washington is an opportunity for travelers over 50 to vacation in the nation's capital to learn more about how the government works. Close Up's one-week tour visits Capitol Hill and other government agencies and institutions. Participants will meet members of Congress and journalists, study the impact of lobbyists on legislation, learn how laws are made and have an opportunity to voice opinions to Washington insiders. The itinerary includes:
* A behind-the-scenes look at Capitol Hill, including the House of Representatives, the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress.
* A visit to a foreign embassy.
* Seminars on current national and international issues.
* Independent time to visit cultural and historical sites, such as the Smithsonian Institution, National Archives, Arlington National Cemetery and the National Gallery of Art. (Transportation to these sites is free.)
The program price is $981 per person, double occupancy, and includes:
* Seven nights at a metropolitan Washington hotel;
* All meals and gratuities except one lunch during free time;
* In-town transportation on air-conditioned buses;
* Copies of Close Up publications on current events and government;
* An evening at one of Washington's theaters;
* A final banquet;
* A supplemental policy for life, health and accident insurance.
The price does not include transportation to and from Washington, D.C. For a brochure, call (800) 232-2000, weekdays between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m. PST.
Travelers can stay in furnished apartments in foreign countries for two or three weeks through UNTOUR, a tour company developed by Idyll Ltd. Options also include staying for one-week periods in each of two or three different countries. Apartments have a kitchen, a private bathroom, one or more bedrooms and a living/dining room. Linens are provided, but there is no maid service.
Participating countries are Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Holland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and Switzerland.
UNTOUR packages include round-trip air transportation between Eastern U.S. gateway cities and the destination on major U.S. or international air carriers. Rail passes or automobile rentals in the host country are included.
For example, an UNTOUR in Holland for three weeks including round-trip air from Washington, plus 21-day rail and bus passes will range from $1,718 to $1,978 per person, double occupancy. For four, the per person range is $1,360 to $1,619. The prices are based on departure date and the number of people occupying the apartment.
A three-week UNTOUR in Switzerland with transatlantic air from Boston or New York, including a Swiss rail pass, ranges from $1,820 to $1,950 per person for two and from $1,469 to $1,599 per person for six. All participants receive an information packet of maps, pamphlets and Idyll booklets describing day trips, hikes, things to do, places to go and a calendar of events. Travelers are met at European airports and are either escorted or given directions to their apartment.
For complete descriptions, prices, itineraries and other information on UNTOURS, call (610) 565-5242 or write to Idyll, Ltd., P.O. Box 405, Media, Pa. 19063.