"Crimson Tide," "Cry, the Beloved Country," "Devil in a Blue Dress," "Othello" and "Waiting to Exhale" will compete for outstanding motion picture when the 27th NAACP Image Awards take place April 6 at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.
The Image Awards, which were not held last year because of internal political problems at the NAACP, will be televised on an April date to be determined on Fox, in the award show's first two-hour prime-time telecast.
Among other nominees announced Wednesday:
* Best actor, film: Denzel Washington ("Crimson Tide"), Gregory Hines ("Waiting to Exhale"), James Earl Jones ("Cry, the Beloved Country"), Laurence Fishburne ("Othello") and Morgan Freeman ("Seven").
* Best drama series, TV: "Chicago Hope," "ER," "Homicide: Life on the Street," "New York Undercover" and "Under One Roof."
* Best comedy series, TV: "In the House," "Living Single," "Martin," "Sister, Sister" and "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."
* Lead actor, TV drama: Andre Braugher and Yaphet Kotto ("Homicide"), Avery Brooks ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"), Eriq La Salle ("ER") and Malik Yoba ("New York Undercover").
* Lead actor, TV comedy: Jaleel White ("Family Matters"), John Henton ("Living Single"), LL Cool J ("In the House"), Martin Lawrence ("Martin") and Will Smith ("Fresh Prince of Bel-Air").
* Lead actress, TV drama: Cicely Tyson and Cree Summer ("Sweet Justice"), Della Reese ("Touched by an Angel"), Vanessa Bell Calloway ("Under One Roof") and Victoria Rowell ("Diagnosis Murder").
* Lead actress, TV comedy: Erika Alexander, Kim Coles, Kim Fields Freeman and Queen Latifah ("Living Single") and Tisha Campbell ("Martin").
Music nominees include:
* Best rap artist: Coolio, LL Cool J, Hammer, Naughty by Nature and Shaggy.
* Outstanding new artist: Brandy, D'Angelo, Hootie & the Blowfish, Kirk Franklin and the Family, and Monica.
* Best group: Boyz II Men, Hootie & the Blowfish, Kirk Franklin and the Family, Sade and TLC.
* Outstanding female artist: Anita Baker, Brandy, Mariah Carey, Vanessa Williams and Whitney Houston.
* Outstanding male artist: Barry White, D'Angelo, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder.
* Outstanding jazz artist: Dianne Reeves, George Duke, Gerald Albright, Quincy Jones and Rachelle Farrell.