Wilson Waiting for Job Offer


Former Mighty Duck Coach Ron Wilson said Wednesday his bags are packed and he’s ready to fly today to . . .

Washington to become the Capitals next coach?





How about San Jose?

Wrong again.

Wilson, whose contract was not renewed after four seasons as Duck coach, insisted that contrary to published reports he has not received offers to coach the Capitals, Coyotes or Sharks.


Instead, he is headed to Colorado Springs, Colo., for a round of meetings with USA Hockey officials today and Friday and an awards dinner Saturday. He will receive a distinguished achievement award for coaching Team USA to its first World Cup of Hockey championship last September.

“I don’t have any offers from anyone yet and even if I did I wouldn’t tell anyone,” Wilson said. “I’m going to Colorado Springs and they’re giving me an award. It’s doctorate of philosophy. Get it?”

He was joking.

Duck General Manager Jack Ferreira cited “philosophical differences” as the reason Wilson’s contract was not renewed.

Wilson expects to talk further with team officials in Phoenix and Washington and hopes to “know something more by Monday.”

He confirmed he had a second interview Tuesday with the Capitals. However, he said even if George McPhee is hired as the Capitals’ general manager, he might not necessarily wind up coaching in Washington.

Wilson, a former Vancouver assistant coach, and McPhee, the Canucks’ director of hockey operations, worked together in Vancouver from 1990 to 1993.

Canuck General Manager Pat Quinn said Tuesday he expected McPhee to be hired soon in Washington and discussed possible replacements with reporters.


“I’ve been watching TV and everyone says I’m going to be the next coach of the Capitals, but it’s not true,” Wilson said.

He also denied a report in a Vancouver newspaper that said he had been in contact with the Capitals while the Ducks were still competing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

“There’s no truth to that,” Wilson said. “That’s news to me. No one called me. I didn’t get any calls [from other teams] until two days after I was fired.”