R.L. Stine, the author who’s been known to give youngsters lots of “Goosebumps,” is behind “Ghosts of Fear Street,” a half-hour ABC special based on his books about a normal family in an odd neighborhood. How odd? A neighbor’s head inexplicably morphs into a bug whenever he gets nervous. Red Buttons, above, plays the brood’s grandfather.
* “Ghosts of Fear Street” airs at 8:30 p.m. on ABC (Channel 7).
Guitarist Phil Upchurch brings his stylish sounds to the closing performance of the third annual Westwood Jazz at the Hammer free concert series.
* UCLA Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center, 10899 Wilshire Blvd., Westwood. Free. (310) 824-6365. 6:30 p.m.
Marcello Mastroianni’s final role, in Manoel de Oliveira’s “Voyage to the Beginning of the World,” has him cast as a director inspired to visit his father’s birthplace. The film opens today at the Music Hall.
* Music Hall, 9036 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, (310) 274-6869.
Nicolas Cage, set to star in “Snake Eyes,” which will open next weekend, receives his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today.
* 7021 Hollywood Blvd. (in front of the Galaxy Theatre Complex). 11:30 a.m.
Frankie Beverly & Maze, Mary J. Blige (right), Aaron Hall and Keith Washington will try to make some magic on stage for the 13th Annual Midsummer Night’s Magic concert at Universal Amphitheatre. Proceeds will benefit the Magic Johnson Foundation Scholarship Fund and the United Negro College Fund.
* Universal Amphitheatre, 100 Universal City Plaza, Universal City, (213) 252-8497. $28-$103. 7 p.m.