They "dink" and "chuck," "joust" and "hammer." And when a "flosser" breezes by, you gotta show off and give someone a "facial disgracial."
We're talking volleyspeak, the lingo of the official sport of summer: volleyball. It's not enough to look the part in wraparound Killer Loops and Billabong board shorts, and gulp massive amounts of Evian.
You gotta talk the talk, dude.
* Chuck: A ball that is pushed or thrown.
* Coverage: Backing up a partner's hit.
* Dink: Ball played just over the net.
* Facial: A spike to the face; also called a six-pack because if you give a facial, you buy the beer.
* Facial disgracial: An extreme facial that sends a player out of the match.
* Flosser: A thong-wearing woman.
* Hammer: A downward hard hit.
* Jed: A block.
* Joust: When two opposing players battle the ball above the net.
* Kong block: A one-armed block invented by beach superstar Randy Stoklos.
* Lollipop: A very easy serve.
* Scoop: A ball saved with any part of the body.
* Spade: An ace serve.
* Volley dolly: A volleyball groupie.