71ST ASSEMBLY DISTRICT
Campbell, a longtime businessman who captured an Assembly seat in his first run for office, has been a solidly conservative vote.
* Political party: Republican
* Age: 56
* Residence: Villa Park
* Education: Bachelor of science, electrical engineering, Loyola Marymount, 1965; master’s in business administration, Harvard Business School, 1967.
* Career highlights: Has owned 13 Taco Bell franchises for last two decades. Worked in Southern California aerospace and electronics companies. Elected to Assembly in 1996.
* Priorities: Reduce taxes, strip regulations on business to improve job climate. Make teachers more accountable, boost parental involvement, provide school facilities for future. Support private school vouchers.
An administrator for an Orange County developer, Badger is making her first run for public office. She lives in Rancho Santa Margarita and was coordinator for an AIDS walk in Irvine in 1997.
* Political party: Democrat
* Age: 43
* Residence: Rancho Santa Margarita
* Education: Bachelor of arts, political science, Cal State Long Beach, 1995.
* Career highlights: Co-chair, South Orange County Democratic Club; active with local charities for 12 years.
* Priorities: Reform California schools to improve student performance. Reform health insurance to expand services by health maintenance organizations. Promote after-school youth programs to improve quality of life.
OTHER CANDIDATE: Brenda J. Bryant of the Natural Law Party.