Advertisement

Cigarette May Have Started House Fire

Share

Two people were injured in their home over the weekend in a fire possibly caused by careless smoking, a Los Angeles Fire Department official said Monday.

A 41-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman were treated for smoke inhalation and released from local hospitals. Their names were not immediately available. The blaze destroyed a portion of their home in the 9700 block of Vena Avenue just before midnight Sunday.

The fire probably was started by a cigarette in a back bedroom of the single-story home, said Jim Wells, a Fire Department spokesman.

Advertisement

It took more than 30 firefighters 15 minutes to extinguish the flames.

“They didn’t know whether someone was trapped inside, so we tried to have as many people as possible there to cover the fire quickly,” Wells said.

The blaze caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.

Advertisement