Whether it’s the end of the Millennium or just another New Year’s Eve, tonight’s the night to make a resolution you won’t keep, kiss the one you love at midnight and toast good friends and good times with a glass of bubbly. A party primer of today’s events for home-bounders and all-nighters:
Around the Globe
Non-stop coverage of worldwide festivities
* Millennium 2000 starting at 1:40 a.m., KCET
* ABC 2000, starting at 1:50 a.m., KABC/7
* Millennium 2000, starting at 2 a.m., CNN
* New Millennium, starting at 2 a.m., Fox News
* Feliz Milenio, starting at 3 a.m., KMEX
* Millennium Live, starting at 3 a.m., KPXN
Back-to-back episodes all day long
* “Andy Griffith,” starting at 3:15 a.m., TBS Superstation
* “Twilight Zone,” starting at 6 a.m., Sci-Fi Channel
* “The Jetsons,” starting at 10 a.m., Cartoon Network
* “Millennium,” starting at noon, FX
The long weekend of college action kicks off with four games
* Insight.com Bowl, Colorado vs. Boston College, 10:30 a.m., ESPN
* Sun Bowl, Minnesota vs. Oregon, 11 a.m., KCBS/2
* Liberty Bowl, Colorado St. vs. Southern Mississippi, 2 p.m., ESPN
* Independence Bowl, Mississippi vs. Oklahoma, 5:30 p.m., ESPN
Really Big Shows
Large-scale celebrations around Orange County
* Music, fireworks, extended hours at Disneyland, 8 a.m.-3 a.m., $39
* Alcohol-free Christian celebration, fireworks at Knott’s Berry Farm, 7 p.m.-1 a.m., $40
* Entertainment, fireworks at First Night Fullerton, 7 p.m.-midnight, $8-$12
* All-day music, games, fireworks at San Clemente Pier, 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m., free
* Music, street performers at The Block at Orange, 5 p.m.-midnight, free
* Music, entertainment at Irvine Spectrum Center, 7 p.m.-1 a.m., free
* Midnight fireworks at Newport Dunes Resort ($7 parking fee) and Laguna Beach’s Heisler Park (free)
Live music and ball-drops from around the nation
* Millennium Special starting at 6 p.m., KNBC/4
* 2 Large, starting at 7 p.m., MTV
* America’s Millennium, starting at 10 p.m., KCBS/2
* Fox 2000, starting at 11 p.m., KTTV/11
On the Net
* Watch live video of celebrations in 18 time zones, including 10 cameras in New York City’s Times Square at newyears.earthcam.com
* Synchronize your clock with the U.S. Naval Observatory at tycho.usno.navy.mil/pstclock.html
* Find the words to “Auld Lang Syne” at www.robertburns.org/works/, a site dedicated to the Scottish author of the poem
Graphics reporting by BRADY MacDONALD / Los Angeles Times
The following schedules will be in effect for today (New Year’s Eve) and Saturday (New Year’s Day):
* Federal offices: Closed
* City offices: Most are closed today and all are closed on Saturday.
* State offices: Open today, closed Saturday.
* Municipal, Superior and Federal courts: Closed.
* Libraries: County libraries will be closed today. Some city libraries will close early or will be closed all day. All libraries will be closed Saturday.
* Banks and savings and loans: Some will close early today. All are closed Saturday.
* Schools: Closed.
* Mail: Regular service today, no service on Saturday.
* Trash: Regular schedule today, no service on Saturday.
* Buses: Regular schedule today, holiday schedule on Saturday.
* Metrolink: Trains will run on a limited schedule today, no service on Saturday.
Closure reporting by JANICE DODDS / Los Angeles Times