Living Literature Colors United, a nonprofit organization in Los Angeles that offers classes in the performing and visual arts and academic tutoring and mentoring to at-risk youths, needs people to tutor and provide transportation for students at Jordan and Locke high schools in South-Central, at Venice High School and at the East Los Angeles Skills Center. Information: (310) 286-1988.
* Young Artists International, a group dedicated to the support, management and promotion of gifted young musicians, needs volunteers in the areas of bookkeeping, driving, ushering, ticket sales, media, mail and office management for its 2nd annual International Laureates Music Festival from July 27 to Aug. 23. Twenty-eight winners of competitions from 20 countries will perform solo and chamber music in nine public and private concerts in the Los Angeles area. Information: (310) 281-3303.
* Child Advocates Office of the Los Angeles Superior Court is holding a five-day training session for volunteers Monday, July 20, 23, 26 and 30 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Trained volunteers become Court Appointed Special Advocates and investigate the circumstances of children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect and make recommendations to the court. Information: (323) 526-6666.
* The Children’s Nature Institute in Santa Monica needs volunteers to lead children and adults on nature walks. Training runs Monday through July 23 in Topanga State Park. Information: (310) 998-1151.
* Women Helping Children, a community service of the National Council of Jewish Women/L.A., needs volunteers for literacy, enrichment and library programs for homeless, high-risk children, teens and teen mothers. Training is provided. Information: Carol Henault, (323) 651-2930, Ext. 238.
* Early Childhood Center in Los Angeles needs women to act as mentors to teen mothers. Information: Dr. Gina M. Molina, (310) 855-5377.
* Los Angeles Regional Foodbank needs volunteers to sort and pack food weekdays. Information: Art Pin~a, (323) 234-3030, Ext. 144.
* Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s Museum Service Council is accepting applications for volunteers to work in the welcome/information centers, assist the professional staff, host museum functions, staff the Boone Children’s Gallery and serve as speakers for the Community Speakers Service. Applicants should have some office skills; bilingual skills are also valuable. Interviews will be held in August. Information: (323) 857-6101.
* Friends of the Family needs homework helpers to assist first- to fifth-graders in Van Nuys. Information: (818) 988-4430.
* The Pillow Project, an educational and support program for battered women in Van Nuys, needs volunteers. Information: (818) 988-4430.
* The Mercedes-Benz Cup Tennis Tournament, July 24 to Aug. 1 at the UCLA-Los Angeles Tennis Center, needs volunteers. Information: (310) 824-1010, Ext. 253.
* Pets Are Wonderful Support/L.A., which helps people with HIV-AIDS keep their pets, is looking for temporary homes for cats and dogs while their owners are in the hospital. Information: Candee Kennedy, (323) 876-7297, Ext. 112.
* Pet Assistance Foundation in Long Beach needs people to answer phones and provide information on low-cost spay/neuter services. Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
Information for this column should be submitted typed and double-spaced to Involvement Opportunities, SoCal Living, Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053.