Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach needs volunteers for a variety of jobs, including bird handling, public speaking and face painting. Information: (562) 951-1659.
* Women Helping Children, a service of the National Council of Jewish Women, needs literacy and enrichment volunteers for elementary school library programs. Information: (323) 852-8508.
* UCLA Center on Aging needs retired teachers to help mentor first-year teachers in Compton, Pasadena, Los Angeles and Long Beach as part of the Teach for America program. Information: (310) 794-0676.
* Heritage Square Museum in Pasadena needs volunteers to act as tour guides, research assistants, for office work, as publicity assistants, gardeners, carpenters and as museum educators.
Training begins Sept. 8. Information: Diana Robertson, (626) 796-2898.
* Interface Children, Family Services of Ventura County in Camarillo needs volunteers to work with children in schools to teach them to stay safe from abuse. Training is provided. Information: Maureen Miller, (805) 485-6114, Ext. 612.
* Valley Trauma Center, serving the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys, needs crisis counselors for children and adult survivors of sexual assault. Training is provided. Information: (818) 756-5330.
Information should be submitted to Involvement Opportunities, SoCal Living, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.