Meth Lab May Have Caused Home Explosion

A Northridge home that exploded and caught fire Monday may have been a methamphetamine lab, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said.

Police detectives said they found the chemicals and equipment used to make the drug in the home.

"People were seen running out of the house when [the Fire Department] arrived at the scene," Los Angeles Police Sgt. Dan Mastro said. The occupants of the home scattered as firefighters extinguished the flames, he said.

Explosions in meth labs are often the result of chemical and heat mixtures, or extremely flammable fumes ignited by a spark, Mastro said.

The garage area of the one-story house in the 20600 block of Gresham Street caught fire, causing the roof to collapse and resulting in an estimated loss of $55,000, police said.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World