* Cameron Park: Join the old-fashioned Summer Spectacular on June 30 in this park east of Sacramento. Music, food and craft vendors, contests, carnival games and other entertainment will be topped off with fireworks. Cameron Park Lake, on Cambridge Road. 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Free. (530) 677-2231.
* Ferndale: The 51st annual Scandinavian Midsummer Festival is June 30, with music and dancers, food, crafts and a children's area. Fireman's Park. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Free. (707) 444-8444, http://www.redwoodvisitor.org.
* Crescent City: The town celebrates July 4 with food, music and an exhibit of historic aircraft at Del Norte County Airport. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Free admission. Plane rides $15; $5 for ages 14 and under. (541) 469-7911.
* Morro Bay: The Morro Bay Art Assn. hosts three days of Art in the Park June 30-July 2. Food and arts and crafts displays will line Harbor Street and Morro Bay Boulevard. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. each day. Free. (805) 772-4467, http://www.morrobay.com/morrobayartassociation.
* San Rafael: Carnival rides and farm animals highlight the Marin County Fair, June 30-July 4. Fireworks will explode nightly over the fairgrounds, Civic Center Drive. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. $10; $8 seniors and ages 4-12; free under 4. (415) 381-8198, http://www.marinfair.org.
Schenden's e-mail address is Lkschenden@msn.com