Most everyone is aware that the enjoyment of golf is no longer confined to high-income heart surgeons and millionaire athletes. For the new golf audience of cost-conscious players, dozens of low-cost travel packages are offered throughout the summer and into early fall. We've chosen several that are appealing:
* At Lake Tahoe: Along the Northern California/Nevada border, Northstar-at-Tahoe charges $54.50 per person (two-day minimum stay) in a studio condo and throws in two rounds of golf per room. The offer is valid through Sept. 2 for any Sunday through Thursday that does not include a holiday. Go to Internet http://www.skinorthstar.com or call (800) 466-6784 to learn more.
* In the Rocky Mountains of Colorado: At Snowmass Village, the slightly less glitzy neighbor and partner of Aspen, summer golf packages start at $110 per person (dropping to $77 per person for fall), based on double occupancy, for one night's stay and one round of golf. Click on "Specials and Promotions" on the Snowmass Web site at http://www.snowmassvillage.com or call (800) 766-9627.
* In Big Sky country: At Big Mountain in Whitefish, Mont., summer golf-and-lodging packages start at $66.50 per person, double occupancy. Call (800) 858-3930 or go to http://www.bigmtn.com/html/golf.html for more details.
* At Welk Resort in Escondido: Throughout the summer, three-day, two-night hotel-and-golf packages start at $217 per person for midweek double occupancy, including three breakfasts, two dinners and unlimited golf. Go to the resort's Web site at http://www.welkresort.com/accom.html, or you can contact a resort agent at (760) 749-3000.
* At Angel Fire, N.M.: Up in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northern New Mexico, not far from Taos, Angel Fire Resort operates a PGA-certified course that reduces its rates for golf (and related occupancy in the hotel) to $78 per person per night starting just after Labor Day. Summer high-season prices start at just $88 per person per night. Visit Angel Fire's Web site at http://www.angelfireresort.com or call its reservation office at (800) 633-7463 for more details.
* At Mt. Snow, Vt.: Golf enthusiasts love the resort's course, which was named one of the top five in the state by Golf Digest. Midweek packages start at $163 per person (double occupancy) for two nights and 18 holes for every day you stay--and lunch at the Mt. Snow Country Club is thrown in. (Weekend packages start at $183 for two nights and two rounds of golf.) Log on to http://www.mtsnow.com/summer01/golf/index.html for the golf page on the Mt. Snow Web site, or call (800) 451-4211 to speak to Mt. Snow reservations.