Dear SOS: Can you get the recipe for the calamari appetizer served at Mr. Pickwick's at Ye Olde England Inne in Stowe, Vt.? It's wonderful!
Dear Christy: This recipe from chef Sam Pamasano has a few components but isn't difficult. Just have everything ready to go.
You could also try the orange-sesame glaze on grilled whitefish or shrimp, which could then be tossed with the pepper and onion mixture.
Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
6 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Dash dried red pepper flakes
1. Combine the marmalade, orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds and pepper flakes in a mixing bowl, blending well. Refrigerate until needed.
Peppers and onions
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 red onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 jalapeno, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Fry the red and green bell peppers, the onion and the jalapeno until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. (This can be made a day before and refrigerated.)
1/2 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch rings
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups canola oil
6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
6 tablespoons flour
6 cups mixed greens
1. Soak the calamari in the buttermilk for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in an 8-quart stockpot to 400 degrees. Mix the cornmeal and flour in a baking dish. Drain the calamari and coat well with the cornmeal mixture. Sift the excess cornmeal from the calamari and arrange on a rack to dry in the refrigerator, about 30 minutes. Fry in 4 batches until crisp, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Drain.
3. To assemble, heat the peppers and onions in a large skillet over medium heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the orange-sesame glaze and heat for 30 seconds. Toss most of the glaze with the greens, then divide among 4 plates. Arrange the calamari around the greens and drizzle any remaining glaze over the salad.
Each serving: 592 calories; 716 mg. sodium; 132 mg. cholesterol; 43 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 42 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams protein; 3.15 grams fiber.