The eight teams that were in position for the BCS bowl games before Saturday:
No. 1 Oklahoma Def. Texas A&M;, 77-0
* The Sooners scored touchdowns 10 of the first 11 times they had the ball and called off the dogs late to avoid an even greater farce.
No. 2 USC Idle; Sat. at Arizona
* The Trojans' championship game hopes were bolstered when three of the five other teams with one loss were upset.
No. 3 Florida St. Lost to Clemson, 26-10
* Tommy Bowden defeated his father, Bobby Bowden, for the first time in five tries, ending Florida State's title chances.
* The Volunteers halted the Hurricanes' 26-game win streak at the Orange Bowl, holding them without a touchdown for the first time at home since 1984.
No. 5 Ohio St. Def. Michigan St., 33-23
* The Buckeyes continued to roll toward their Big Ten Conference showdown Nov. 22 against Michigan at the Big House.
No. 6 Virginia Tech Lost to Pittsburgh, 31-28
* The Hokies' loss knocked them from title contention and means the Panthers' game Nov. 29 against Miami will decide the Big East.
No. 7 Louisiana St. Idle; Sat. at Alabama
* The Tigers benefited from the upsets of teams ahead of them and will move up in the rankings without having lifted a finger.
No. 8 Michigan Idle; Sat. at Northwestern
* The 8-2 Wolverines figure to vault over the upset victims but cannot lose again or they could be banished to a second-tier bowl game.
-- Elliott Teaford