Man wanted in fatal USC hit-and-run arrested at border

A man wanted in connection with the hit-and-run death of a USC student last month was arrested as he attempted to cross back into the U.S. from Mexico, police said.

Josue Luna, 32, was booked early Saturday as an accessory to a crime. He was released after posting $50,000 bail, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Luna was a passenger when his wife sped through a red light at Jefferson Boulevard near Hoover Street, near USC, on March 29, according to police. The 2000 Infiniti sedan struck two students in the crosswalk, killing Adrianna Bachan, 18, and severely injuring Marcus Garfinkle, 19.

Investigators said that after Garfinkle was carried 300 to 400 feet on the windshield, the car stopped and Luna pulled the student off. Luna got back in the car and held the windshield in place as his wife drove off, police said.


Garfinkle suffered multiple injuries including two broken legs. He remains hospitalized.

Luna’s wife, Claudia Cabrera, 30, has pleaded not guilty to vehicular manslaughter and hit-and-run. Cabrera is being held on $1-million bail.

She was arrested April 2 after $235,000 was offered for information in the case.

Authorities said Cabrera was driving with a driver’s license that had been suspended because she had failed to pay traffic tickets. The couple’s 7-month-old baby was in the back seat at the time of the accident, police said.

Border Patrol agents notified Los Angeles police after discovering that Luna was wanted by police during a routine computer check as he tried to cross the border at San Ysidro shortly after 5:30 p.m. Friday. The LAPD’s Fugitive Unit took him back to Los Angeles for booking, police said.

Myron Garfinkle said in a phone interview Saturday that his son was happy to hear of the arrest.

“He’s been looking for justice,” Garfinkle said.

He and Marcus’ mother have remained at their son’s side since the accident. His son, Garfinkle said, is now able to be lifted into a wheelchair and spend time outside of the hospital.


“As parents, all of our energy has been focused on helping our son heal the multiple wounds that he sustained, but to all of us, both our family and everybody here, it’s important for justice to be served, particularly when the crime is as heinous as this,” Garfinkle said.

John Welch, the spokesman for the Bachans, said the family was happy about the arrest but thought the bail was too low. “There are no laws on the books that can really serve justice for what this man did,” Welch said. “At the end of the day, I don’t know what kind of justice will bring Adrianna back.”