Ducks’ Ryan Getzlaf suffers a double letdown


What started as a sweet day for the Getzlaf family turned sour in the final moments of two games in two countries Sunday.

As Ryan Getzlaf readied for the Ducks’ game against Phoenix at the Honda Center, his brother Chris was in Calgary playing receiver for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Grey Cup, the Canadian Football League championship.

In Anaheim, the Ducks took a second-period lead on a power-play goal by Getzlaf.

In Calgary, Chris Getzlaf caught two passes, and Saskatchewan had a 16-point fourth-quarter lead over Montreal.

But the Ducks gave up two goals in the third period, only to tie the score late and then lose in overtime, 3-2, when James Vandermeer’s one-timer from the slot deflected off a Ducks defenseman 1 minute 18 seconds into the extra period.

In the dressing room, Getzlaf learned his brother’s team had lost in even more excruciating fashion, falling to Montreal, 28-27, on a 33-yard field goal with no time left after a Saskatchewan penalty on a failed field-goal try gave Montreal a second chance.

“Too many men on the field,” Ryan Getzlaf said.

“I just heard about the finish and I’m not too happy about that right now,” he said. “Later on today, I’ll talk to him. Obviously, I feel for those guys, too.”

The Ducks had their winning streak behind goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere end at three games, but they salvaged a point and moved to 4-1-1 on the crucial seven-game homestand that ends Tuesday against the Kings, the teams’ first meeting this season.

“I think it’s important to focus on the positive,” Giguere said. “We found a way to get a point at the end, the last two minutes.”

Giguere and Coach Randy Carlyle said the Ducks didn’t move their feet and played too passively in the third period.

“A team that is down, 1-0, in the third is going to skate,” said Giguere, whose streak of consecutive shutout periods ended at five when Vandermeer scored the first of his two goals after a rebound bounced to him 5:28 into the third period. Matthew Lombardi gave Phoenix a 2-1 lead at the 10:07 mark.

The Ducks fought back to tie the score with 1:54 remaining in regulation when Bobby Ryan deflected Nick Boynton’s point shot past Ilya Bryzgalov. (Corey Perry earned the second assist on the goal to record a point in his 18th consecutive game, breaking the club record Teemu Selanne set in 1999.)

“We scored a goal late to give us a point,” said Carlyle, whose team has emerged from last place in the Western Conference and is trying to make its way out of last in the Pacific Division.

The test against the Kings, their local rival, is just ahead.

“They’re all of vast importance where we’re positioned,” Carlyle said.

“We need points and it doesn’t matter who we play.”


Forwards Kyle Calder and Joffrey Lupul were put on injured reserve Sunday. Calder is expected to be out two to four weeks after being hit in the face with a puck in practice Saturday and suffering an eye condition called hyphema, or blood in the iris. Lupul has sat out the last four games because of back spasms and was put on injured reserve retroactively. The Ducks recalled left wing Matt Beleskey from Toronto of the American Hockey League and inserted him into the lineup Sunday. . . . Attendance was a season-low 13,023.