Advertisement

Jamie McCourt won’t attend Dodgers’ home opener

From staff and wire reports

Frank and Jamie McCourt’s fight over ownership of the Dodgers will not result in a showdown in the owners’ box at the team’s home opener on Tuesday.

Jamie McCourt will not attend, according to Bert Fields, one of her attorneys.

Frank McCourt, who says he is the sole owner of the team, fired his estranged wife as the Dodgers’ chief executive last October, on the day the team was eliminated from the National League Championship Series. Jamie McCourt, who says she is a co-owner, filed for divorce the next week.

The ownership issue is set to be determined in a trial scheduled to start Aug. 30 and extend to Sept. 30.

The parties have yet to resolve how much money Frank McCourt should pay to cover Jamie McCourt’s expenses until the trial starts, although a ruling is expected within weeks.

Jamie McCourt has asked for nearly $1 million per month and $9 million in attorney fees. Frank McCourt initially had said she could support herself without any help from him, but in a court filing Monday he asked that she be awarded “at most $150,000 per month” from him.

--Bill Shaikin

Selig looking at pace of play

If Hank Aaron and Joe Torre never had to step out of the batter’s box during their playing days, baseball Commissioner Bud Selig doesn’t see why Dustin Pedroia and Derek Jeter have to be any different.

In response to a question about umpire Joe West’s public criticism of the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, Selig said that Major League Baseball is looking at ways to keep play moving at a reasonable rate.

“It’s the pace of the game is what one has to look at,” said Selig, who attended the grand opening of the Minnesota Twins’ ballpark. “The sport is so popular now that we just ought to do everything we can to make sure we’re doing what we can.”

Last week West told the Record of New Jersey that the Yankees and Red Sox were “pathetic and embarrassing” for dragging out games during their season-opening series. The public criticism rankled members of both teams, who routinely play games on national television that last longer than the typical contest.

Longer commercial breaks, veteran hitters who work deep into counts and players who like to step out of the box regularly to adjust batting gloves, check signs and take a breath all contribute to pushing games well past three hours.

Selig declined to comment specifically about West’s speaking out but did say that the special committee he assembled in December to look at on-field matters is discussing the “pace of game” subject.

“It isn’t the time of the game, it’s the pace of the game,” Selig said. “That’s the point.”

Selig has spoken to Aaron and Torre recently about the issue, and said both told him they rarely stepped out of the box during at-bats when they were playing. Selig also lamented the pitcher who takes a lap around the mound between each delivery.

Injury updates

The Baltimore Orioles put second baseman Brian Roberts on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained abdominal muscle and to enable the two-time All-Star to receive further treatment on his ailing back. The move is retroactive to Saturday.

San Diego Padres starter Chris Young has been put on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Wednesday, because of a strained right shoulder. Young, who had surgery on his shoulder in the off-season, said Monday that he should be good to go once his DL stint ends.

The Toronto Blue Jays put second baseman Aaron Hill on the 15-day disabled list because of a hamstring injury.


Advertisement