The seemingly cursed Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” will reportedly be turning off its lights for good come January.
The production -- the most expensive show in Broadway history at a hefty $75 million -- has not been breaking even for weeks now, according to the Wall Street Journal, which reported online Monday that sources close to the production said it will be closing. According to the Broadway League, the show grossed $742,595 last week, against a potential gross of more than $1.5 million.
The lavish production -- in the largest theater on Broadway, the Foxwoods -- opened in June 2011 and has been fraught with problems from the onset, though in the beginning, attendance wasn't one of them. There were both script and technical issues during previews, and several performers have been injured during the show’s run, including a 23-year-old actor whose ankle was caught in a hydraulic stage lift in August.
“Spider-Man” director Julie Taymor, after being fired, filed a lawsuit against the producers, claiming they violated her creative rights and owed her money. Producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah Harris then countersued, saying Taymor didn't fulfill her directorial duties. A joint settlement was reached in April.
Producers of "Spider-Man" are reportedly looking for a London venue for the show. A spokeswoman for the musical told the L.A. Times in April that they’re looking at several different cities as well.
An official announcement is expected later this week.
PHOTOS: Hollywood stars on stage
CHEAT SHEET: Fall Arts Preview
PHOTOS: Arts and culture in pictures