Advertisement

Kevin Spacey criminal complaint includes Snapchat video said to be evidence of alleged groping

Kevin Spacey criminal complaint includes Snapchat video said to be evidence of alleged groping
A criminal complaint filed against actor Kevin Spacey for an alleged assault in 2016 includes video evidence of the incident in question, according to paperwork filed in Nantucket District Court. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)

Details continue to emerge from the criminal complaint filed in Nantucket District Court against Kevin Spacey, centering on an alleged assault said to have taken place in July 2016.

Documents obtained by The Times reveal that investigators have video evidence from a Snapchat account of the night in question, during which the actor is accused of groping an 18-year-old.

Advertisement

According to the complaint, the man accusing Spacey of sexual misconduct was a busboy at the Club Car, a Nantucket restaurant and bar at the time. Though 18, he told the actor he was 23 and a student at Wake Forest.

Hoping to get a photo with the actor to post on Instagram, the busboy got increasingly drunk as the actor bought him drinks, according to a police report. Spacey made inquiries about the busboy’s genitals and bragged about the size of his own penis, before inviting the 18-year-old to come back to his house with him, the busboy said.

The young man alleged that Spacey told him he would get his picture if he accompanied the actor home, but the busboy refused the offer, according to the complaint.

Later, while standing in a crowd near the bar’s piano, the busboy said, Spacey groped the young man’s genitals, causing him to freeze, uncertain of how to respond. Since the young man was under the legal drinking age, he explained that he didn’t say anything to management that night because he didn’t want to make a scene and cause trouble at work or for his job. (He told management about the incident the next day.)

During the incident, which, according to the busboy, lasted around three minutes, the young man continued to text and Snapchat, including telling his girlfriend about the encounter as it was happening. To dispel his girlfriend’s initial disbelief, the busboy told police, he sent her a Snapchat video.

The video, apparently recovered by police, was shown to the busboy and confirmed to be the incident in question, according to the court documentation.

Representatives for the busboy did not immediately respond to The Times’ request for comment.

The details are just the latest in a tumultuous news week for the Oscar-winning actor, whose fall from grace has been swift and thorough, after sexual assault allegations were made against Spacey dating back decades.

On Monday, news that Spacey would be arraigned for a charge of indecent assault and battery in Nantucket District Court on Jan. 7 was usurped in headlines by a bizarre video posted on the actor’s YouTube channel, in character as his “House of Cards” character, Frank Underwood.

In the video, Spacey ranted about loyalty and rushing to judgment without facts, purportedly as Underwood (who was killed off in the show’s most recent season), but with a toxic sentiment, given the real-life accusations against him.

Spacey has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than two dozen men and was subsequently dropped from “House of Cards” and replaced in last year’s Oscar bid “All the Money in the World.”

Representatives for Spacey did not immediately respond to The Times’ request for comment.

Advertisement
Advertisement