It looks as if Jimmy Fallon won’t be presiding at the Dolby Theatre after all.
On Wednesday, the late-night host went on “Today” in London to say he will not be hosting the Academy Awards in 2013, essentially confirming a Times report on Tuesday that talks between him and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have stalled.
“No, I’m not going to do the Oscars,” Fallon told “Today” co-host Matt Lauer, who seemed to be surprised by the response. “It’s an honor to be asked by the academy, but it’s not my year.”
Fallon, who had largely been offering up quips earlier in the interview, got serious as he made the comments. Interestingly, Lauer had actually asked whether he was being “considered” for the gig, which Fallon of course did not deny. (You can watch the clip below.)
Last week, the L.A. Times reported that former academy president Tom Sherak had been in talks with Fallon, who previously hosted the Emmys, to host the Oscars; Sherak has also talked to “Saturday Night Live” executive producer Lorne Michaels about producing the February telecast, the story said. (Sherak left his post last week and has been replaced by veteran Hollywood producer Hawk Koch.)
But ABC, which broadcasts the movie kudos, was said to object to giving a platform to Fallon, who directly competes with the network’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” via his NBC show “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.” ABC does not hold official veto power over the academy’s selection but is believed to have some sway with the group.
According to the Times report, talks had stalled primarily on the objection of Disney chief Robert Iger. Iger was not opposed to Michaels producing the show.
Had he landed the host gig, Fallon would continue in a tradition that has been established in recent decades by Johnny Carson and David Letterman, who had each hosted Oscar telecasts. But at the time, neither posed a similar competitive threat to the host network.
The academy did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ZeitchikLAT